With the adoption of the NIS2 directive by the Council of the EU, new legislation will replace the current directive on the security of network and information systems.
The new directive aims to strengthen cybersecurity and resilience in the European Union and to harmonise cybersecurity requirements and implementation of cybersecurity measures across the member states. This will be achieved by:
- setting minimum rules for a regulatory framework
- creating mechanisms for effective cooperation among relevant authorities in each member state
- updating the list of sectors and activities subject to cybersecurity obligations
- providing remedies and sanctions to ensure enforcement
- establishing the European Cyber Crises Liaison Organisation Network (EU-CyCLONe) to support the coordinated management of large-scale cybersecurity incidents and crises.
Read the press release