European Union Engagement Support Programme
From 2-4 December 2019, multi-stakeholders will come together at UN Headquarters in New York to discuss aspects of cybersecurity in the United Nations international security context. This first intersessional meeting marks a key moment in UN cyber processes. The objective of the consultations will be to focus on possible synergies between state and private sector efforts in ensuring stability in cyberspace.
In order strengthen the multistakeholder engagement at the first intersessional consultative meeting of the Open-ended Working Group, the European Union has established the Engagement Support Programme (ESP). The EU ESP aims to facilitate the participation of 25-35 representatives from business, non-governmental organisations and academia to share views on the issues within the OEWG’s mandate.
The provided funding will cover:
- cost of return travel to New York (i.e. economy class airfare)
- daily subsistence allowance (i.e. for accommodation and incidentals)
- support with obtaining a travel visa, if required.
Further practical information for applying for the ESP, as well as background information on the intersessional consultative meetings, is available in the sections below.
Submission of the expression of interest
The EU ESP will support in particular representatives of organisations and institutions from underrepresented countries and communities with clear and concrete interests in the intersessional consultative meeting.
In order to apply for the funding / co-funding, interested organisations are kindly requested to fill in and submit the Expression of Interest Form or provide the required information by email. The form can be downloaded here.
The deadline for submitting the form has been extended to 4 November 2019.
Following the selection, the grantees will have to complete additional UN formalities:
- Fill in the UNODA form
- Submit a formal written request.
Criteria for the selection of the grantees
Decisions about the funding will be made taking into account the following elements:
- Specific interest in the cyber-related work of the UN, preferably in the issues within the OEWG’s mandate;
- Motivation, including how the participation in the meeting will support the ongoing or planned activities undertaken by the applicant;
- Specific funding needs and availability of funding
The selection of the grantees will also take into account the need to ensure regional, cultural, linguistic and gender diversity during the inter-sessional meeting.
- 4 November Deadline for submitting expressions of interest
- 20 November Deadline for registration with the UN
- 25 November Deadline to submit completed forms to the UN for access to UNHQ
- 1 December Information session for supported participants
- 2-4 December Intersessional meeting
- 13 December Deadline for submitting travel documentation
- 20 December Deadline for submitting testimony from the inter-sessional meeting
In the coming two years, as part of the Open-Ended Working Group (OEWG) process on developments in the field of information and telecommunications in the context of international security, intersessional consultative meetings are foreseen under General Assembly Resolution 73/27 in which the OEWG Chair or his designate will convene informal consultations with the private sector, non-governmental organisations and academia to share views on the issues within the OEWG’s mandate. These consultations will also be open to the participation of UN Member States.
These intersessional consultations will be the first time multistakeholders come together to discuss aspects of cybersecurity in the United Nations international security context and marks a key moment in UN cyber processes. The objective of these consultations will be to focus on possible synergies between state and private sector efforts in ensuring stability in cyberspace. The first such intersessional meeting is envisaged to take place at UN Headquarters, New York, from 2-4 December 2019.
Please consult Frequently Asked Questions for additional information.
In case you have any additional questions, please contact [email protected] (in English or French).