This Directive replaces the Council Framework Decision 2001/413/JHA. Specifically, the Directive:
- updates the legal framework;
- removes operational obstacles and enhances prevention;
- expands the scope of the offences including transactions through virtual currencies;
- introduces new online crime offences and a minimum level for the highest penalties from 2-5 years;
- clarifies the scope of jurisdiction;
- ensures the rights of cybercrime victims and improves EU-wide criminal justice cooperation.
- provides statistical data on fraud.